Ant-Man

baal666

Main Eventer
Reaction score
2rdbtd4.jpg

Before the movie :

"Why are we going to watch this ?" is what my friends and I were asking each other when we were in front of the cinema.
Since I heard about Ant-Man being made in movie for the first time, i'm like Why the fuck are they wasting time on a guy becoming small when there are so many other characters they could make movies about ? But then I read about Edgar Wright being the director and well, okay it might be funny.
Wright left the project and my hope for it to be good faded, but as I liked all of the MCU movies so far i expected to be surprised in a good way.
I didn't watch trailers but saw a few 8-10 seconds featurettes and, oh boy, you don't know how much this shattered the last glimmer of hope in me.
I feared forced humor, and uninspired scenes, but still went to see it with friends. We were 7, five 22/23 years old guys, one 21 years old girl and a fourteen years old boy and for the first time i thought i might ask them for a detailed opinion to see if we are thinking the same things about it.

Movie Plot :

In 1989, Hank Pym left the S.H.I.E.L.D after discovering they were trying to replicate his Pym particle which allows him to shrink things but he considers it too dangerous to allow anyone to get their hands on it.

Nowadays, Scott Lang is released from prison after three years for burglarizing his former employer, the company Vista Corp. having difficulties to get a job because of his previous lifestyle, he finally accepts another burglary job suggested by his friend Luis.
Easy job, an old man has a big safe in his basement, get in, steal him while he isn't home but things won't be as simple as expected.

Pym will recruit Lang to help him steal the shrinking particle created by his former protege, Darren Cross, who wants to use it for military purpose.

My impressions :

+ Michael Douglas' Hank Pym's old bitter man character is the only character i didn't find stupid, his motivations are understandable even if he his a little bit rough with other people. His backstory is a touching serious part of this movie, ruined by Scott at the right timing, one of the rare times a comedic thing actually made me smile in this movie.
+ Michael Peña's character, Luis, is the only funny character, a bit irritating at times but still ok. His summaries about how someone told him that someone got told by someone about something are the most funny scenes of th movie for me.
+ The model city scene is a pretty good action scene
+ Aknowledging the existence of other characters.

- Uninspired story about Scott's family. Divorced, his ex-wife is with a cop now, Scott wants to see his daughter, his wife's new guy is busting his balls to pay the pension even though they live in a pretty big house (don't really need money) and Scott just got out of prison...
- Uninspired story and bad guy : The creator of a technology and his bald acolyte are working together in the creator's society, the bald guy screws the creator and uses the technology against him using a more armed suit. Did I sum up Ant-Man or Iron Man ?
- There is something about Hank's keys (those who saw the movie see what i'm talking about) when we first see them i was facepalming and told one of my friend "you'll see that shit will come back later"
- So many jokes are a miss and just made me want to get up and punch the screen. Humor has always been part of Marvel movies and a reason i love them but here it's a big NO.
- The cops are slowing the movie, their scenes are useless and just here to make the movie hit the 2 hours time lenght, even it felt way longer for me.
- Romance from out of nowhere.

To conclude, i didn't like this movie at all. It had to happen, the MCU is running since 2008 and they had to make a very disappointing movie, for some it was Thor 2 well for me it was Ant-Man. Uninteresting story and characters, 85% of the jokes are failed, many facepalming moments. The last thing on screen is "Ant-Man will return" FUCK NO ! I don't want to see more of him, I like to rewatch MCU movies sometimes but Ant-Man is one i probably never will wach again. Sorry i've been ranting against this movie, but it succeeded to disappoint me even though i had 0 expectations for it to be any good.

Should you watch it ? It's up to you, i guess Marvel movies have been around for so long that people won't care about reviews i guess but please, let me know what you thought abot this movie if you have seen it.

About my friends, the kid is the only one who enjoyed the movie. The rest of them didn't like it, one fell asleep at one point and another wanted to leave the cinema during the movie because he found it so bad.

<big><big>3.5/10</big></big>