(Documentary Review) Fight Owens Fight

nadimmania

Legend
Reaction score
51uMsEqTYLL._SY400_.jpg

So, this will be a review of Fight Owens Fight: The Kevin Owens Story.

NOTE:
This review is about the Documentary-portion only. I haven't watched all the matches yet, but there's several RAW match (on Blu-ray extras, especially), an NXT live-event segment between Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens, and a tag team match between Owens & HHH against Zayn & Ambrose on Paris. It's a live-event match and the position they used to record the entire match was from near the gorilla position, so it kinda far away a little bit (they zoomed it, though) and the sound is not too good, not too bad either.

Okay, here we go:

1. In the first portion AKA the beginning, it's about Owens early careers. It's already established since the beginning portion of this documentary that the whole theme is about "pursuing dream and supported by family". The beginning is very good, especially the voice of Owens said "I am Kevin Owens, and I have prove them all wrong". ("Them" is for those who didn't believe in Kevin can actually make it to the WWE".

2. Next, there will be segments shown about the reasons why Owens want to be a wrestler. Basically, he was inspired by Michaels-Diesel encounter at WrestleMania 11.

3. Then, he got admitted to the Jacques Rougeau wrestling school. In this segment, according to Zayn, Owens was the star-student of Jacques Rougeau wrestling school back then. Then there's segment with Owens' dad about Owens first match, which is at age 16. Also, according to Zayn, Owens knew that he was good, and Zayn jokingly says that he's kinda a jerk because of it.

4. Also, next we will be shown Owens early match at Indy scene. I don't recognize the logo of the promotion, though, but its definitely not ROH or PWG (we'll talk about those two later). I believe it was IWS.

5. The next was, well, about Owens story in CZW. Zayn and Steve Corino talks about a fatal four way match at Philadelphia, the match that according to Zayn was the match that helps them open the doors to lots of indy promotion, including those in US and Europe.

6. Then there's a segment where Owens revealed that he learned English language because of wrestling, especially when he watch old WWF/E matches featuring Kurt Angle.

7. There's also a segment where he talks about meeting Stone Cold Steve Austin in an airport. Owens ask about what advice can Austin gave for him to be able to make it to WWE one day. Austin told him to "never stop running your mouth". Owens began to talk, talk, and talks a lot after that.

8. Next will be Owens (and Zayn) time in ROH. There's Seth Rollins and Jimmy Jacobs in this segment as well. It's about Owens and Zayn stole the show in ROH.

9. Interesting info: according to Jacobs (I forgot exactly if it's Jacobs or Corino), the first biggest draw in ROH back then was #1 Daniel Bryan and #2 Owens & Zayn.

10. We move to the feud between Owens and Zayn. Rollins talks about Owens turned on Zayn, and he believe that it was the moment they able to elevate themselves as perfomer, especially Owens.

11. This is a part that became VERY INTERESTING. Zayn talks about "loser leaves town" on Final Battle match between him and Owens. Zayn believes that Jim Cornette booked that idea because he wants to get rid of some people that he didn't like; Owens was one of them.

12. After that match, Owens said that he almost gave up on wrestling. But after thinking a while, he wrestle again few days later for PWG and decide to reinvent himself.

13. After that, we move forward to Owens return to ROH six or seven months later. He shows up in the rafters. According to Jacobs, after saw Owens, he believe Owens is special. Then, Daniel Bryan appeared for interview. He says that it was unpredictable. It was chaos, and fans love that.

14. Also, according to Owens, he was booked to win ROH World Title because they kinda have no choice. But then, he says that night wasn't as special as he thought would be.

15. Then we moved to Zayn talks about signing contract with WWE. Zayn said that he sign the contract in front of Owens.

16. In the next segment, Neville and Seth Rollins basically says that Owens is not WWE-typical guy, is not what they're looking for, and it's unlikely for Owens to be signed to WWE.

17. Then we moved to Triple H segment, where he said that he scouted all over the world for talent, and he heard Owens name. William Regal showed as well, and Regal was the one who scouted Owens when Owens had a match in PWG. This PWG match is the reason why Owens being signed with WWE.

18. After that, there's a two-three minutes of Owens first-ever promo on WWE's Performance Center. He wears a PWG t-shirt, interestingly. This one is a gem. After this promo, Owens was officially signed by WWE.

19. Owens being told by upper-management that don't get his hope up, basically don't hope for the main roster chance, but you'll get your chance at NXT.

20. Owens talks about his time in NXT. He talks about his debut, and his feud with Zayn. Triple H said that Owens betrayed Zayn is perfect, a "stealing thunder" moment.

21. Owens won the NXT championship, there's the late Dusty Rhodes here, he hugged him. Then he hugged Triple H.

22. There's a segment where Owens was backstage at WM 31 and met Hogan and Rock.

23. Triple H said that Owens has one of the shortest run in NXT history. He believes that Vince saw it (and Cena saw it, since Cena requested to Vince to bring Owens to TV for Cena's US Open Challenge).

24. Owens segment with Cena on RAW is shown here, particularly the "veteran advice" segment.

25. Several good segment shown about Owens win at Elimination Chamber against Cena and Intercontinental Championship at Night Of Champions. Owens said that Intercontinental Championship is the one he likes the most. Well, so do I Owens, so do I.

26. Next is Owens WM 32 preparation. Here, there's cameo from Jake Roberts, X-Pac, and Scott Hall. Also, he met Steve Austin near the Gorilla Position, says that it's a full circle and he says to Stone Cold "I always remember the advice you gave me at the airport". Then comes his WM 32 match segment.

27. Owens said that when he made his entrance at WM 32, he feels like he's a f*cking king of the world.

28. According to Jacobs, Owens is one of the most passionate wrestler, and he's kinda hard to be deal with. Neville said that Owens is good because he is real. He's kinda prick, but he have motivation and he's a family man, and you can respect that.

29. Next is about Owens-Zayn match at Payback and Battleground. Standing ovation for both men, especially at Battleground. According to Bryan, he immediately told them their match at Battleground was amazing.

30. Owens believe his momentum kinda off for a while when he's booked in SummerSlam with Jericho against Enzo & Cass. Then he talks about the fatal four way match for Universal Championship at RAW...

31. Owens thanking Triple H for the opportunities he was given, especially for the Universal Championship. Then there's a backstage video of Zayn hugging Owens after Owens winning the title. Owens then hug and thanks Triple H as well, and Owens hug Vince McMahon too.

32. In the end, Owens believe that as long as he had his wive and kids back him up, he will wrestle as long as he can.

RATE: 4.5/5
This is one of the best WWE documentary I've ever seen. It's on par with CM Punk's best in the world documentary a few years ago, but I think the one with Punk is still better, but then again, at that time Punk already been in WWE for a long time. Owens only been in WWE for a while (it's not even his Year Five), so that's understandable. What I like from this DVD/Blu-ray is the extras feature. There's an extra feature where Owens talk about the chance to be on dark match at RAW on Montreal when he was still in Jacques Rougeau wrestling school, but in order to be on the dark match, he was told to sign a 10-year contract with two interesting stipulation. Well, the most interesting stipulation is one only, but the other one still worth mentioning. Also, there are stories about Owens ring name (well, before it was decided that he use "Kevin Owens" ring name) as well. One particular standing out and almost nearly becoming Owens ring name in WWE is "Steven Keen".

Basically, I recommend those who's been a fan of Owens, and especially those who are not familiar with Owens' work to watch it. I admit, before I watch this, I'm not a big fan of Owens. But after I watch this, suddenly I became a fan of him. I'd truly recommend all of OSR superstar here to watch Owens documentary.

And goodbye to the bad guy!
nadimmania