GSP Vacates the Welterweight Championship

Monarch

Lower Midcard
Reaction score
Not sure if there's a lot of members here who follow MMA or UFC for that matter but today there was huge news. Georges St. Pierre who has been the Welterweight champion of UFC since 2008, decided to vacate his title and take an "indefinite leave of absence." Which means he probably won't be back, huge blow to UFC and MMA in general.

jazz

Midcard
Reaction score
<-- another huge MMA fan here! :)

Can't say I've been a huge GSP fan, but I admire his professionalism in stepping aside and not holding up the division. As much as I would've loved to have seen Hendricks get another shot at the title (I thought he won the last fight!), the welterweight division is stacked and has been pretty exciting lately and this opens up a lot of intriguing title fight scenarios down the line (Hendricks/Condit II, Lawler/Ellenberger, MacDonald/Hendricks II, as well as other guys like Lombard, Shields, Woodley, and Maia in the mix, and possibly Nick Diaz if he decides to come back). Might even end up being something like the LHW division before Jones, with the title changing hands constantly.

That being said, I hope GSP does come back at some point after he gets his issues sorted out.

AKI Man

Legend
Reaction score
Website
s4.zetaboards.com
Its a real shame. He just did not seem himself at the press conference after the Henricks fight, so its the best decision for him to walk away for a while to sort his issues out. He has nothing to prove.

barskio

Main Eventer
Reaction score
I still think Hendricks beat him, and would do in a rematch. It's a shame we can't get to see that. He also walks away for something Dana didn't see as a big problem. I hope he sorts his problem out. Another era has ended.