new japan pro wrestling 2 64 yukes

Ronzo34

Young Lion
Reaction score
???? where did this come from? ive never seen this pop up in a n64 wrestling game search untill today , does anyone know if this is worth playing?

Ronzo34

Young Lion
Reaction score
l the full name, shin nippon pro wrestling toukon roads brave spirits, it looks like a smackdown 64

damn, this game is trash fuck yukes and all yukes wrestling games if it aint aki engine its shit pure and simple same goes for 2k

Champion_Gamer

Promoter
Staff member
Reaction score
Yuke's made a few games for the n64 and playstation as well as the dreamcast which is what the smackdown 1 game was based on. if i remember correctly i read somewhere that people at the time were really excited for smackdown 1 as they thought they were going to get the latest installment of the game engine. however instead they got an earlier version of the engine that was used on previous games in the series which wasn't as good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuke's

Chuckiepk

Promoter
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Also, I am not sure if many people here know about this, but the WWF Smackdown 1 and 2 game engine that was developed by Yuke's was used in a few other obscure wrestling games as well. The Japanese company D3 Publisher produced what is know as the "Simple Series" which is described as a series of budget-priced console games with short development times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_series_video_games

Volumes 22 and 52 of their Simple 1500 Series contained wrestling themed games. Volume 22 was known as "The Pro Wrestling" and was based off of the WWF Smackdown engine while Volume 52 was known as "The Pro Wrestling 2" and was based off of the WWF Smackdown 2: Know Your Role engine.

The 2nd game seems to offer a few unusual match types in it. I believe it has a few types of matches such as a Concrete Ring Cage Match, Cage Match, Electric Exploding Barbedwire Deathmatch, No Ropes Match, Inferno Match, and Barbedwire Inferno Match. And there seems to be characters in the game who are based off of real-life wrestlers.

The similarity between the two game engines can be seen in these gameplay videos on YouTube.

<iframe type='text/html' width='250' height='250' src='
' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen=''></iframe> <iframe type='text/html' width='250' height='250' src='
' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen=''></iframe>

Ronzo34

Young Lion
Reaction score
that actually looks fun, barbwired inferno!

D

Deleted User

Crowd Member
Very interesting! I too am curious to try this, as Smackdown 2 is one of my favorite games.

Fizanko

Midcard
Reaction score
For those interested, while the n64 featured the 2nd game in the Toukon Retsuden serie, the playstation had the 3rd and the dreamcast had the 4th.
gamefaqs have guide for those games, as the gameplay is different from the aki serie (there's some rock/paper/scissor system for the counters/reversal by example when players apply moves at the same time)