What are the chances of an Aki Wrestling game being released on the n64 mini ?

hulkster

Opener
Reaction score
I know there are no confirmation on the n64 mini but it will happen.

anyways, what are the chances of an AKI game coming out on this system? would you support it? what if it is a brand new game like the sequel to no mercy? remember it was going to be called Backlash.

is there a demand for AKI wrestlings?

share us your thoughts

KWG

Promoter
Staff member
Reaction score
"anyways, what are the chances of an AKI game coming out on this system?"
0, because licenses.

"would you support it?"
Yes.

"what if it is a brand new game like the sequel to no mercy? remember it was going to be called Backlash."
Not gonna happen.

"is there a demand for AKI wrestlings?"
Really really small. Barely.

Fizanko

Midcard
Reaction score
WWF No Mercy had made several appearances through the years in articles that deal with wrestling and videogaming, and every single time it was pointed at being one of the timeless masterpiece of the genre.

And thanks to the revival of the Fire Pro serie this year that had a very positive popular reception that proved that despite the WWE crap is still selling there's a place for alternatives when it comes to wrestling games, maybe this could trigger a possible new interest from some devs in getting their hand into the engine.
One can dream :D

Now for what concerns the n64 mini thingy, i have no interest in it, the fact there will not be any AKI game (the licensing is by now just impossible) does not help.

Though i remember there were some genius that made programs to add much more roms into one of those console mini (as they are in fact emulators running on a liinux os)
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...-nes-classic-can-be-hacked-to-play-sega-games
who know if something like that will happen to the "n64 mini" thingy too.

KWG

Promoter
Staff member
Reaction score
Fizanko said:
AKI Corporation has since become Syn Sophia and makes little girl games. They did show interest in making Wrestling games back in 2011 when a guy from No Mercy Zone sent them a e-mail, as long as there is interest .

However I want to remind you a few problems with all that:

1. There is not THAT much interest in a AKI Wrestling Game, not compared to other franchises that people want revived (Megaman, Castlevania).

2. Even if we did start a Kickstarter and got a good amount of money, what guarantees us that the people working at Syn Sophia are the same people that worked at the N64 games (REALLY unlikely) or that the new people are able to make Wrestling games.

So if you want AKI's work to live on, may it live on through mods, because if they tried doing a Wrestling game right now, I gotta say that I'm not too optimistic.

S.K. Stylez

Backstage Worker
Reaction score
Hacking the shit out No Mercy and texture modding is the best it's gonna get.

Fizanko

Midcard
Reaction score
KWG said:
They did show interest in making Wrestling games back in 2011 when a guy from No Mercy Zone sent them a e-mail, as long as there is interest .
You mean the internet petition to convince Syn Sophia to get a kickstarter going and that got 19 other guys signing ?
That probably killed all hopes as a kickstarter out of that would certainly not get the required money.

Oh and for Syn Sophia making a new wrestling game now : the last time Syn Sophia did a wrestling game was with The Golden Hour , only 3 years ago
Except it was only for mobile crap, and the gameplay was all based on some card game without the player doing the action ...
Not really something that inspire confidence in their ability to create a new AKI-like game, the older devs are very likely gone when the company changed.

I think the last time they did something with the AKI engine was with the first Def Jam (as the second one involved another engine) , and that's near 15 years ago (and from before the company changed into Syn Sophia).
Since then the engine is dead in term of development unfortunately, i wish they would go the ID Software or Epic way and just release the source code of it instead of letting it rot with some license to prevent commercial development so they don't even shoot themselves with creating a competition to them.

Who know what kind of mad coding genius that would happen to be fan of wrestling could do with such sourcecode.

Rain

Midcard
Reaction score
Fizanko said:
Who know what kind of mad coding genius that would happen to be fan of wrestling could do with such sourcecode.
Que S.K. Sylez and WldfB and Freem and even Jordy wolfpac Keson CM and so many others I think we can all guess what they would do with it.

D

Deleted User

Crowd Member
Rumor has it the source code is long lost.

No more AKI games even if they wanted to make one.

super_joker

Lower Midcard
Reaction score
the only thing we need is somehow be able to port the mods into a console so we can sit back and play on the couch without laptops etc.

but yes due to licensing i doubt we will see any AKI wrestling games on it.

that is if you can manage to buy one in the first place... but they hacked NES mini im sure they will come up with a soft mod hack for it

hulkster

Opener
Reaction score
super_joker said:
that is if you can manage to buy one in the first place... but they hacked NES mini im sure they will come up with a soft mod hack for it
you are correct in this manner

also, we don't know what kind of emulator Nintendo will be using .. let us hope it is their own software that way we don't have to rely on say retroarch

if they have their own nintendo 64 emulator software, then it would be nice if hackers can port it to PC

on top of that, we still have the Nintendo switch - we don't know how the virtual console works on that thing. this is important because i read that there is a switch emulator already out in beta testing and a lot of are impressed that the programmers made major advances..