Best controller to play Showdown 64?

hulkster

Opener
Reaction score
Hey. I am looking for the best n64 usb setup to play Showdown 64. Anyone have any suggestions? I use Windows 7

D

Deleted User

Crowd Member
I use a wired XBox 360 controller. It's what i swear by when it comes to playability and over all quality.

The USB N64 controllers have a reputation of breaking. Go wth a controller that will last, mine is 4 years old and still kicking.

hulkster

Opener
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions everybody. I should of stated this earlier, that i do not have a original n64 controller. So i cannot use MayFlash.

N64 to USB controller seems cool but i heard there are many lag issues and that it can break easily.

Xbox 360 controller wired seems legit it but doesn't have enough buttons . The :XX: :XY: :XA: :XB: buttons can be used for :N64CUp: :N64CDown: :N64CLeft: :N64CRight: but what about the :N64A: and :N64B: button on the n64?

What is your controller config like, kesson?

Chuckiepk

Promoter
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I use an XBox 360 controller also. Here is the controller configuration that I use most of the time.

<table><tr><td><big>N64</big></td><td><big>XBox 360</big></td></tr><tr><td> :N64A: </td><td> :XA: </td></tr><tr><td> :N64B: </td><td> :XX: </td></tr><tr><td> :N64L: </td><td> :LeftBumper: </td></tr><tr><td> :N64R: </td><td> :RightBumper: </td></tr><tr><td> :N64Z: </td><td> :RightTrigger: </td></tr><tr><td> :N64START: </td><td> :Xstart: </td></tr><tr><td> :N64stick: </td><td>D-Pad</td></tr><tr><td>D-Pad</td><td> :XLeft: </td></tr><tr><td> :N64CUp: :N64CDown: :N64CLeft: :N64CRight: </td><td> :XRight: </td></tr></table>

PinkFloyd

Midcard
Reaction score
I use a USB N64 Controller I bought from Amazon to play Showdown
Keson said:
The USB N64 controllers have a reputation of breaking. Go wth a controller that will last, mine is 4 years old and still kicking.
Funny Story when I bought my Retrolink N64 Controller the Joystick fell out so I had to glue it back on. It's basically a piece of metal with the joystick piece

hulkster

Opener
Reaction score
PinkFloyd said:
I use a USB N64 Controller I bought from Amazon to play Showdown
Keson said:
Funny Story when I bought my Retrolink N64 Controller the Joystick fell out so I had to glue it back on. It's basically a piece of metal with the joystick piece

there should be a company who that produces n64 controllers. but i might go with a wire xbox 360 wired controller. it's pretty cheap too.

bluntfello

Main Eventer
Reaction score
Logitech PS1 style controller for me. Has enough buttons and is light.

bluntfello

Main Eventer
Reaction score
hulkster said:
bluntfello said:
Logitech PS1 style controller for me. Has enough buttons and is light.
the reviews online are not that great.
I've had it for like 4 years now and nothing bad has happened. Not sure what the reviews say about it. It's the Logitech Dual Action controller, got it new at a second hand store, never opened, 5 bucks.

D

Deleted User

Crowd Member
I used to have a Logitech controller, it was awesome.

bluntfello

Main Eventer
Reaction score
I had an old logitech and didn't use it for a few months, next time I pick it up the round plastic grips on the analog sticks melted off like putty, it was the weirdest thing I'd seen, so every time I used it from then on I ended up with my fingers colored black and sticky.

dodesskiy

Young Lion
Reaction score
Hipnosis said:
I have this http://www.amazon.com/MAYFLASH-N64-...302822&sr=8-1&keywords=n64+controller+adapter

I just need new N64 controllers. I prefer Xbox Controllers if wired ones didn't break easily and wireless didn't need batteries and recharging. But my N64 Controllers are probably just old lol
Get a PS 3 controller, it works off of a mini USB cable and can be used wired, it can also work off of a BT dongle, needs no batteries. It charges off of your PC. You just need a program to set it up, your PC sees it as a wireless xbox 360 controller. It works perfectly it all the games, PJ 64 also sees it as an xbox 360 wireless. C buttons I just mapped to the right analog stick. Kinda like gamecube themselves did later when they were making a newer controller.
hulkster said:
Thank you for the suggestions everybody. I should of stated this earlier, that i do not have a original n64 controller. So i cannot use MayFlash.

N64 to USB controller seems cool but i heard there are many lag issues and that it can break easily.

Xbox 360 controller wired seems legit it but doesn't have enough buttons . The :XX: :XY: :XA: :XB: buttons can be used for :N64CUp: :N64CDown: :N64CLeft: :N64CRight: but what about the :N64A: and :N64B: button on the n64?

What is your controller config like, kesson?
You need to set up the C buttons to the right analog stick. Exactly like they are, left, right, up and down. Take a looks at a gamecube controller. Nintendo themselves did that later on.