Cancelled games

baal666

Main Eventer
Reaction score
Topic to show the games that were in development but canceled for some reasons.

Legacy of Kain : The Dark Prrophecy Canceled in 2004

Was supposed to be a sequel to Defiance, making it the sixth game of the LoK series. The game was canceled after a few months of work for unknown reasons, it wasn't officially announced but some employees of Crystal Dynamics and artists who worked on it revealed the project and shown artworks and screenshots of the early work done.

<div class='spoiler_toggle'>Picture</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;">
03-Young_Kain-01-Media-01-Screenshot-01.JPG
</div>

Legacy of Kain : Dead Sun Canceled in 2012

According to Divine Shadow's sources, the game was a single player story that takes palce ine Nosgoth's future. It would have introduced a new subrace of vampires called the Saradin who have blue skin and the ability to devour souls and shift between material and spectral realms. The saradin Gein and the human Asher were the protagonists, Asher was Gain's victim but his soul got trapped in the vampire's body, his village was destroyed so Gein/Asher will seek revenge but their adventure would decide the faith of Nosgoth.
The game included a multiplayer mode which is a base for the upcoming Nosgoth game.
<div class='spoiler_toggle'>Picture</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;">
DeadSun-Character-GeinAsher-02-Monkeythumbz.jpg
</div>

Gotham by gaslight Canceled in 2009/2010

Was a game based on the comic book, introducing batman into a Victorian England. The story would have followed batman as he tracks down Jack the Ripper. Screenshots and a test footage can be found on the internet.

<div class='spoiler_toggle'>Pictures</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;">
ku-xlarge.jpg
ku-xlarge.jpg
</div>

<div class='spoiler_toggle'>video</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;"><iframe type='text/html' width='500' height='350' src='
' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen=''></iframe></div>

If you know other cancelled games, share the infos here

D

Deleted User

Crowd Member
I know the sequel to No Mercy was going to be called Backlash... but that's about it.

Oh, and the original Fallout 3.

baal666

Main Eventer
Reaction score
Tomb Raider Anniversary Edition cancelled in 2005/2006

This was supposed to be a PSP remake of the original Tomb Raider for it's 10th anniversary made by Core Design. The project never went further than a Beta stage and the Tomb Raider franchise was tranfered to Crystal Dynamics.

Tomb Raider anniversary was later redevelopped by Crystal Dynamics and Buzz Monkey Software and released for PC,PS2,PSP,Wii,Xbox360

KWG

Promoter
Staff member
Reaction score
Thrill Kill Cancelled in 1998/99

Thrill Kill is a cancelled and unpublished 1998 fighting video game for the Sony PlayStation. While the technical feat of allowing four players to fight simultaneously in the same room was to be a major selling point, this was overshadowed by the controversy surrounding the game's depictions of violence and sexual content. Examples of this content include BDSM and fetishistic costumes and acts, limb dismemberment, and violent special moves with names such as "Bitch Slap" and "Swallow This".
As it was essentially completed before it was cancelled and its code leaked onto the internet, it is one of the most widely available and easily playable unreleased games ever made. A few weeks before shipping, the game was cancelled by EA because they didn't want to "publish such a senselessly violent game", as they felt that it would harm their image. They also stated that they deemed the game so offensive that they would not even attempt to sell the game to be released by another publisher either.

Plot: Ten damned souls have died and descended into Hell. This modern-day Hell is based on the real world of today's deviants. The characters are the physical manifestations of their mental illnesses or the evil hidden within their mortal selves. Each character has been a murderer, usually after their said illness/evil inner self. Marukka, the Goddess of Secrets, is bored of her usual routine and decides that it would be entertaining to pit all of the characters against one another in a fighting tournament with the prize being reincarnation. Each character is battling for nothing more than self-preservation and the hope of being reborn.

TheDarthFoundation

Main Eventer
Reaction score
FEZ 2 was cancelled because the developer is a hot-head. He got into some twitter argument with some dude which led him to cancelling the game.
Yay.

baal666

Main Eventer
Reaction score
@KWG : i remember seeing videos of this game but never played it. This thing could have sold well when you see how violence and sex are attracting people nowadays

@TSF : Damn, cancelling a game because of a twitter argument is stupid.

Rayman 4 cancelled in 2005

Was developped for Ubisoft by Phoenix Interactive Entertainment.
The game waas supposed to be a 3d platform game including classic places from the first game such as Band Land or Picture City. It would have introduced the character of dark Rayman, and Rayman would have had various costumes.
This was cancelled but a trailer for another Rayman 4 was released, showing zombies Raving Rabbids but this quickly changed and the Raving Rabbids was another game with mini games and a more childish and humorous feeling and ended being a separate licence.

Rayman_4_powers_concept_art.png
</div>

John360

Midcard
Reaction score
WWE Brawl

WWE Brawl was supposed to be a arcade style wrestling game,similar to WWE All-Stars.I don't know why it got cancelled,as there is no information regarding its cancelling on the net.

KWG

Promoter
Staff member
Reaction score
John360 said:
WWE Brawl

WWE Brawl was supposed to be a arcade style wrestling game,similar to WWE All-Stars.I don't know why it got cancelled,as there is no information regarding its cancelling on the net.
Actually it's unknown if it's cancelled or in develop hell,because THQ never said it was cancelled,they said the game was going to be "postponed indefinitely because THQ wanted to concentrate on WWE '13."

WWE Wrestlefest (All Platforms except iOS and Android) Unknown/2013
The game was supposed to have a port to almost all consoles,Windows,PS3 (PSN),PS Vita,X-Box 360 (XBLA).The Android port was released in December 19, 2012,during THQ downfall,hinting that if 2K feels like they may release it for all the other ports.

baal666

Main Eventer
Reaction score
I completely forgot about SVR online, this would have been so cool, too bad ot was cancelled.

Starcraft : Ghost cancelled in 2005/2006 but not officially

The game was revealed at the Tokyo Game Show 2002, it would have been a third person infiltration game where you played as Nova, a female Terran who have psychic abilities. The game was supposed to be released in late 2003 on PS2, XBox and Gamecube.
In June 2004 it is announced that the game is pushed back to 2005, in 2005 the Gamecube version is officialy cancelled, shown at the Blizzcon, the game looks good and a multiplayer mode is working but in March 2006 it is announced that the project is on hold, Blizzard was said to consider porting the game to Xbox360 and PS3 but that was the last time we heard about it.
In February 2008 a file shown 8 cancelled projects such as Warcraft Adventures but the name of Starcraft : Ghost doesn't appear on it, because the project has never been officialy cancelled.
After so many years i think we can say this won't ever be released.

Starcraft+Ghost.jpg
</div>

Reaction score
KWG said:
The game was supposed to have a port to almost all consoles,Windows,PS3 (PSN),PS Vita,X-Box 360 (XBLA).The Android port was released in December 19, 2012,during THQ downfall,hinting that if 2K feels like they may release it for all the other ports.
WWE Wrestlefest was released on Android?? :blink: I never found it on the play store...can you share a link please :B-) always wanted to play that game

<big>Halo DS</big>
Halo DS was a Halo game that was planned to be released on the Nintendo DS, but was canceled as deals did not work out. It was playable before it was canceled.[1] In January 2007, Matt Casamassina of IGN claimed he played a version of Halo for the Nintendo DS. On October 2, 2007 he demonstrated on-camera, and in-game footage of an early-development style version of Halo DS. The demonstrated work featured dual-wielding and a version of the Halo 2 map Zanzibar. Bungie employees later explained the Halo DS demo was in fact an unsolicited pitch that was never taken on.

Source:- http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo_DS

Gameplay (prototype):- <iframe type='text/html' width='360' height='240' src='
' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen=''></iframe>

TheDarthFoundation

Main Eventer
Reaction score
Wrestlemaniac258 said:
KWG said:
WWE Wrestlefest was released on Android?? :blink: I never found it on the play store...can you share a link please :B-) always wanted to play that game
Are you serious? This is in the CANCELLED GAMES thread, how would it be released? Also, it said all platforms EXCEPT iOS and Android, lol.
lol.

Swifty

Main Eventer
Reaction score
Gears of War: Exile

Gears of War: Exile was supposed to be another Gears of War game, but it was cancelled before it ever had the chance. And that’s all we ever really knew about it. In the words of Cliff Bleszinski, "Let’s just bury the hatchet now. Gears of War: Exile was an unannounced game that I can’t give any details about that has since been cancelled." End of story.

Eight Days

A mobster game with an interesting premise, Eight Days would have taken place over eight days (with a real-time day and night cycle) and across eight U.S. states. A video of a gunfight in the Arizona desert was shown off at E3 back in 2006 to get us excited before the game disappeared, dashing our hopes. As each year passes, the chances of this one being revived get slimmer and slimmer.

Sadness

Sadness was supposed to be a psychological survival horror title for the Wii, with a creepy black and white visual style and a whole lot of Wiimote waggling. Of course, the title had an incredibly rocky road, and its failure to launch ultimately toppled Nibris, the development studio that was working on it.

Fallout:Online

The Fallout MMO is a famous example of lawyers ruining our gaming fun. See, this would have been an MMO set in the Fallout universe, which would have been pretty damn cool. But Bethesda started getting weird about what they would allow developer Interplay to do with the title, going so far as prohibiting them from making any references to the Fallout universe.
What we never really understood was how anyone was supposed to create a Fallout world without making any references to the Fallout universe. You know, since the game would have been set in the Fallout universe. Still, the legal system stepped in and pulled the plug on this ambitious project before it ever saw the light of day.

baal666

Main Eventer
Reaction score
@TSF : It was cancelled on all platforms EXCEPT iOs and Android, Wrestlemaniac asks for the game on Android which according to KWG was released.
I don't know how games work on that platform so asking for it on the forum may be against the rules.
I may have misunderstood you, TSF, but i think you are thinking he didn't understand KWG on the 'except thing' while he seems to have understood it...i'm not sure to be very clear with this explanation

KWG

Promoter
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure Wrestlemaniac258,It's written in Wikipedia that it was released in December 2012.

D

Deleted User

Crowd Member
<blockquote class='quote\\_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd> </dd></dl><div>Fallout:Online

The Fallout MMO is a famous example of lawyers ruining our gaming fun. See, this would have been an MMO set in the Fallout universe, which would have been pretty damn cool. But Bethesda started getting weird about what they would allow developer Interplay to do with the title, going so far as prohibiting them from making any references to the Fallout universe.
What we never really understood was how anyone was supposed to create a Fallout world without making any references to the Fallout universe. You know, since the game would have been set in the Fallout universe. Still, the legal system stepped in and pulled the plug on this ambitious project before it ever saw the light of day.

[/quote]

This one is completely wrong. When Interplay sold the rights to Fallout 3 to Bethesda, they actually retained the MMO rights, and are allowed to make whatever references they want.

You are thinking about the Original Fallout 3, which had to be scrapped by Interplay, and is now going to be released as Wastleand 2:

baal666

Main Eventer
Reaction score
Lord of the rings: The White Council cancelled in 2007

In 2006 the developpers of LotR the third age announced their project of The White Council for PC,PS3 and 360, they wanted it to be the first open world game in the middle earth.
I haven't seen a lot of informations about it except that we would have been able to choose to play as a human, an elf, a dwarf or a hobbit and that the gameplay was said to be somewhere between a beat'em all like Return of the king and a more tactic thing like Third Age.
In february 2007 the development was put on hold, EA announced they were working with Pandemic Studios on LotR conquest which was a failure leading to EA losing the LotR licence which is now between Warner's hands, burying the White Council.

the-lord-of-the-rings-the-white-council-20060714021429079_640w.jpg
</div>

It's crazy to see some of these games being trashed for stupid reasons, i'm pretty sure some of them would have had success.
There are also games that never got officially cancelled but will never be finished, i think, one example is This is Vegas since may 2010 the website is just the logo with "coming soon" written below it but after 3 years and a half it seems dead.

baal666

Main Eventer
Reaction score
I think the third was called Future Perfect, i don't know very well this licence, just played the 2 a few times but i made a quick search and the releases are :

Time Splitters, Time Splitters 2, Time Splitters : Future Perfect, Time Splitters 4(not released yet)

So being between the 2 and 4 i guess it can be considered as Time Splitters 3.

I was going to add Star Wars Battlefront III but apparently EA are working on it (just named Star Wars : Battlefront without the 3) and will release it sometime in summer 2015.

Star Wars 1313 cancelled in 2013

Revealed at the E3 in June 2012, the game would have been about a bounty hunter and would have taken place in the underworld Level 1313 in Coruscant and was supposed to be on PC, PS3, 360.
As you know Walt Disney acquired the SW franchise and closed LucasArts on April 3rd 2013, cancelling several projects including SW 1313

Star-Wars-1313.jpg
</div>

TheDoctor

Legend
Reaction score
<big>These are two, I was really looking forward to & was very upset at their cancellation.</big>

<big>Highlander The Game
(Officially Cancelled - Jan,2011)</big>

<iframe type='text/html' width='250' height='250' src='

<big>Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned (Officially Cancelled - Dec,2010)</big>
<iframe type='text/html' width='250' height='250' src='