Community Glossary

KWG

Promoter
Staff member
Reaction score
It's something that has been on my mind for a while. An open to suggestions and debates, universal glossary for the benefit of newcomers, and those who aren't too sure what word to use. As this implies, feel free to object to and debate over a words meaning, what should be added, removed, etc.

Cheat Codes - Cheat codes are achieved by modifying the game's data while it is running. These methods of cheating are often less reliable than cheat codes included in a game by its creators (easter eggs, and such). This is due to the fact that certain programming styles or quirks of internal game logic, different release versions of a game, or even using the same game at different times or on different hardware, may result in different memory usage and hence the trainer program might have no effect, or stop the game from running altogether (crashes). Those usually look like this for Nintendo 64: XXYYYYYY ZZZZ.
EM2Nylq.png

The "Unlock All" code, for WWF No Mercy (1.0).

Gameshark - GameShark is the brand name of a line of video game cheat cartridges and other products for a variety of console video game systems. One of those was N64, and as you can guess, this community of customizing the AKI games was heavily built around codes created on the Gameshark days.
 ​

Texture / Graphic - Usually refer to an image file, which contains an image essential to the game. Along with models, makes the visuals you see in the game, be it arenas, characters, or anything else visual. Here's an excellent article on face textures by Freem.
XQwha0a.png

Hulk Hogan's face texture, with sunglasses, WCW/nWo Revenge (1998).

Texture Mod - The modification to the aforementioned textures. When one uses an image editor to either improve a texture or outright replace it with something new. Be it a new character, or something else, as long as it's a visual change. Usually requires emulators and their enhancements, although the recent breakthroughs in Rom Hacking change that. Here's an excellent article on face textures by Freem.
LfU6RCJ.png

Hulk Hogan's face texture, a WWF No Mercy texture modification by Iccotracs.

Texture Pack - A texture pack is a collection of files that were used to change the visuals of characters, arenas, backgrounds and even the UI. As the name implies, a pack of texture mods. Usually can be located on the emulator's main folder, or in the plugin, GFX folder.

Move Hacks - A cheat code or rom hacked animation (not available to the public yet) that intends on mixing 2 or more in-game animations to create a new wrestling move. Same concept applies to taunt hacks.
 ​

Projects - A Full Game Conversion, be it a rom hack compatible with the N64, or a compilation of cheat codes and texture packs for emulators. Those usually have a theme (for example, Showdown 64's theme is to have a "all-time roster", as complete as it could, until 2016, while WCW Feel The Bang's theme is just to simulate the possibility of a new AKI WCW game).
1A6OOzb.png

Loco and nWo_mark's WWF Invasion, which aims to replicate the same era in wrestling, on the No Mercy engine, with the "AKI artstyle".

***W.I.P - MORE COMING SOON***

Orson

Lower Midcard
Reaction score
This is a good idea.

I suggest adding the term "Graphics" in some way to the Texture part as textures have occasionally been referred to as graphics in the archives.

Then there are Polygons / Polys / Shapes.

Addresses / Addys / Values.

KWG

Promoter
Staff member
Reaction score
Orson said:
This is a good idea.

I suggest adding the term "Graphics" in some way to the Texture part as textures have occasionally been referred to as graphics in the archives.

Then there are Polygons / Polys / Shapes.

Addresses / Addys / Values.
Good ideas all around. Addresses, Addys and Values were on my mind, but I just didn't have the time to do it the other day, hence the message at the end of the post. I'll work on the other suggestions, much appreciated.

freem

Opener
Reaction score
Website
vpw.ajworld.net
It would also be a good idea to explain some of the homegrown terms, such as what each of the "toki"s are, "irn mods", and the like.