Kevin Von Erich discusses family tragedies.

Tired

Legend
Reaction score
Warning: This article contains details that some members may find disturbing.

When you talk about the greatest wrestling families, most people mention the Harts or the extended Maivia-Anoa'i family. But if you are from the Southern United States, there is one family that could have challenged either of them: the Von Erich Dynasty.

Fritz Von Erich (real-name) Jack Adkisson is one of the most under-rated heels in wrestling history. While he did not win many titles, he is responsible for keeping some Southern US and Japanese territories alive. And his sons were were virtually rock stars, with a combination of great athletic ability, great looks and armies of loyal fans. The "Texas Tornado" Kerry Von Erich almost represented the US in the Olympics, and then became a WWE Intercontinental Champion, despite having only one foot. And now the third generation of Von Erichs are in the business. The family were inducted into the WWE Hall Of Fame in 2010.

However, most people remember the Von Erich's for the tragedy. Fritz would attend the funerals of five of his six sons. Jack, Jr. died in a freak accident when he was only 6 years old. David died with an illness in Japan. Kerry, Michael and Chris all committed suicide. Fritz later died of natural causes. Kevin is the only one still alive today. However, Kevin's niece Lacey spent some time in TNA before pursuing a modeling career, and his sons Ross and Marshall are continuing the Von Erich legacy.

Here, Kevin talks about his the deaths of his brother Kerry in particular.

<div class='spoiler_toggle'>Kevin Von Erich's comments on his brother's deaths</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;">
“My brothers and I lived real dangerously.

We were a really reckless group always showing off for each other - like walking on bridges in Japan and taking every chance we could. We were just young kids. I’m really surprised that I survived...

We used to have this thing called the 'chance of the day', where every day we’d take a chance on our lives. Dave was always too smart for that, so he’d just watch. We’d jump on wild bulls’ backs, jump on trains going fast. We’d get on a roof of a car at highway speed. You start thinking nothing can get you and you’re indestructible. That’s part of being in sports. We were blessed with good bodies and good balance. We felt like we could do anything and nothing would hurt us.

My father was not a real brutal man like they try to play him out to be in some of those gossip rags. I was there. I remember back when my dad was a bad guy in wrestling...my brothers and I would go to school and the bigger kids would watch wrestling on Saturday night and get even on Monday. We fought together and the family who fights together would not only get good at fighting, it gets really close.

I don’t remember my parents being really super strict or abusive in any way at all. I remember a real happy childhood full of running in the Texas sun, just us and nature. We didn’t even wear clothes until we went to school. We were so far out in the country. We didn’t even have any school chums.

Mike was into painkillers. All the brothers had painkillers prescribed by doctors. Kerry was the only one who got into illegal drugs (that weren't prescribed.)

The best way to handle pain is to grit your teeth and put ice on it. If you take one pill, next time it’ll be two of them and the next it’s going to be three. It’s just a crack in the door. It’s just the crack in the door that gets wider and wider...

Kerry figured he didn’t have anything to live for. He was rootless. He had no home. Seeing me with my family made his pain greater. It reminded him of what he was missing. It was such a sad, tragic thing. He had his two beautiful daughters and a wife he loved, but then he’d come home and all his stuff would be moved out. She’d move all his stuff out. Kerry was no saint (but) they both treated each other kind of rough. He had pretty much come to an understanding the day he killed himself. He just left having lunch with Kathy, his wife. Kerry was going to jail and he was afraid of never seeing his girls again.

He said, 'Kevin, I’m about to kill myself...'

We had talked for about an hour. We told some good dirty jokes, we laughed and he told me “I’m going to kill myself.” I thought I had him talked out of it. He said, 'I didn’t want to be like Mike and not say goodbye.' That’s when I begged him. I said, ‘Don’t do this. Don’t leave me alone. You’re my only brother. Don’t leave me.’ I thought I had talked him out of it.

Thirty minutes later they found his body. He must have gone right out and done it.

Do I blame wrestling for my brothers’ deaths? Not at all.

If anything’s to blame, [it was] our recklessness. I’m the only one alive and some people are taking bets on me...but there’s no way that’s going to happen to me, because I have reason to live and it’s a good one. I’m happy with my life.

I do feel lonely. You’ll never know how close my brothers were to me. But life goes on. It’s not always easy ...you just have to be tough. The rewards are there.”
</div>

thejess2000

Young Lion
Reaction score
Kevin is a true wrestling hero in my book - the qoute there about icing down the pain instead of taking pills for it; the fact the he presses on despite the fact he is only one of his generation left - no whining, no crying, just keeps pressing on. I lost my best friend of 23 years to a drunk driver in 2012. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him, and rarely does more than a week go by that I have to sit down and cry about it; missing someone can do strange things to a person's emotions and resolve. It can make or break a person - very eye opening and encouraging article.

super_joker

Lower Midcard
Reaction score
the Von Erichs' story is the most tragic to me as it happened much earlier than all the normal yearly wrestler deaths due to drug abuse and body deterioration (brain included).

I am hopeful it will get some Hollywood treatment, although tragic it is an interesting story, "Brotherhood"