(SPOILER) 2017 WWE HOF First Inductee

nadimmania

Legend
Reaction score
WWE_HOF_logo.png

The following are the news on "who's the first (and headliner) of the WWE HOF Class of 2017".
<blockquote class='quote\\_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd> </dd></dl><div><iframe type='text/html' width='500' height='250' src='
' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen=''></iframe>
Kurt Angle to be inducted into WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2017

It's true, it's true! Kurt Angle will be taking his rightful place in the WWE Hall of Fame's Class of 2017 just two days before WrestleMania 33, as first reported by ESPN.com.

"Kurt Angle's accomplishments both in the Olympics and WWE were extraordinary," said WWE's Executive Vice President of Talent, Live Events and Creative Paul Levesque. "He was one of the most gifted athletes to ever enter the ring, and we are honored to welcome him into the WWE Hall of Fame."

Before becoming a legend of the squared circle, the proud Pittsburgh native was a world-class amateur competitor, becoming a two-time All-American and a two-time NCAA Champion while wrestling for Clarion University in his home state of Pennsylvania. His incredible amateur career culminated at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta, where he fought off the incredible pain of a "broken freakin' neck" to win the gold medal for the United States of America.

In 1998, Angle made the jump from amateur to professional wrestling by signing with WWE. One year later, the gold medal grappler made his debut at Survivor Series 1999, picking up the first win of an undefeated streak that saw Angle capture the European and Intercontinental Championships. His unbelievable rookie campaign culminated at WWE No Mercy in October 2000, where he defeated The Rock to capture his first WWE Championship.

Though his wrestling ability was unparalleled, Angle adapted to the entertainment side of sports-entertainment better than anyone could have expected. Whether it was preaching his "three Is" – intensity, integrity and intelligence – taking part in a five-second pose with Edge & Christian or joining "Stone Cold" Steve Austin for a backstage sing-along, The Olympic Hero was able to make the WWE Universe laugh when he wasn't wowing them with his athleticism.

By the time he left WWE in 2006, Angle had become one of the company's most decorated stars in a short period of time. His resume includes four reigns as WWE Champion, a World Heavyweight Championship, the WCW, United States, Hardcore, Intercontinental and World Tag Team Championships. In addition, Angle was the 2000 King of the Ring and even served as General Manager of SmackDown.

In honor of these accomplishments, along with his incredible contributions to the WWE Universe during his storied career, Angle will be enshrined in the WWE Hall of Fame.

Tickets for the 2017 WWE Hall of Fame Ceremony will be available starting this Friday, Jan. 20, at 10 a.m. ET. For complete information on how you can see Kurt Angle take his place in sports-entertainment history, visit Ticketmaster.com.

<blockquote class='quote\\_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd> </dd></dl><div>Source: ESPN

Kurt Angle spoke with ESPN after being informed of the news on Monday. He said:

"I was shocked. I've been out of WWE for a long time and out of touch with them so I didn't really expect this. It's a huge honor. This is the only Hall of Fame that I'm not in and probably [the one] I want to be in the most. This is the one that means the most for me. I had a lot of fun entertaining the fans for seven years with WWE, and I'm glad that my hard work paid off."

Angle revealed that he received a phone call from Triple H on Monday with the news.

"I figured they either decided they didn't want to do anything with me or they forgot. Hunter said they never forgot and he called and told me this is the first thing they want to do. And whether I wrestle or not after this -- which is irrelevant right now -- I'm just really proud to be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame. I gave a lot of energy and time to WWE those first seven years, and I'm grateful that they recognized it."

Angle also told ESPN that his current deal runs through the Hall of Fame ceremony but does not include a WrestleMania 33 match.

"We have not talked about any wrestling. Whether we do or not, that remains to be seen... There are no guarantees. I think right now the most important thing is the Hall of Fame -- and I think both sides feel that way."[/quote]
<blockquote class='quote\\_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd> </dd></dl><div>Source: Sports Illustrated

Sports Illustrated has a new interview with Kurt Angle, who discussed headlining the 2017 WWE Hall of Fame class:

Kurt Angle is set to headline the 2017 Hall of Fame class for the WWE, and the 1996 Olympic gold medalist wants “Stone Cold” Steve Austin to induct him.

“That’s a no-brainer,” said Angle. “I had just started with WWE and had a program with Austin right after I beat Rock for the world title. I had a quick skit with Stephanie and Triple H, and then it was right on to Austin. We had some memorable feuds and some very funny segments, so he is at the top of my list.”

Angle and Austin shared remarkable chemistry together in the ring and were also legitimately compelling in their comedy skits, including Milk-O-Mania.

“Steve was one of the most giving individuals,” said Angle. “He took me in and allowed me to shine even when it was still his time. I don’t ever compare myself to Stone Cold. He is the guy who elevated wrestling to a level that nobody ever went before, but he enabled me to show my talents when he very well could have said no. He was a very giving individual, and he is one of the guys who had the biggest impact on my career.”

Angle was officially announced as the first member of the HOF class of 2017 Monday night on Raw, and the two-time Grand Slam Champion—which is a distinction for a wrestler who wins the WWE, WWE Tag Team, Intercontinental, and European Championship—was listening closely to the crowd’s reaction.

“I’m being totally honest—I was nervous when my music played,” admitted Angle. “I didn’t know if the people would respond. Everybody went insane right when the song started, and that reminded me of the impact I had on a lot of people. I was very excited, and it actually brought a tear to my eye.”

Angle worked for the WWE from 1998 to 2006 and produced memorable storylines with Austin, Triple H, and The Rock, but many inside the wrestling cognoscenti believed that his decision to sign with TNA in 2006 cost him any chance of a WWE return.

“The WWE Universe is different from the rest of the world,” explained Angle. “Even though I was wrestling all these great matches, most WWE fans didn’t see those matches. That makes me sad, but it would be nice if WWE somehow got my TNA library, as well as AJ Styles’s, Samoa Joe’s, and Bobby Roode’s so people can see the stuff we did. Those guys will continue to have great matches, but we also had some great ones in TNA.”

Angle built his WWE career on the “Three I’s”—intensity, integrity, and intelligence—but he is thrilled to finally add a fourth to the list: induction.

“I was with my wife and my three little ones when I found out, and I had my other two kids on the phone with me, so we were all together watching in unison,” shared Angle. “It was a really cool moment with my family. My younger kids don’t know about my career, but they looked at the screen and said, ‘Daddy’s on television!’ And then my younger daughter started calling me ‘Kurt Angle,’ and I said, ‘No! I’m Dad, not Kurt Angle.’”

Angle has openly discussed his battle with addiction, and he always credited Vince McMahon as a father figure who steered him in the right direction. Although Angle revealed that he has yet to speak with McMahon, he is grateful for the chance to return home to WWE as its prodigal son.

“I have yet to speak to Vince, but I did talk with Triple H,” said Angle. “It was a great conversation. This is all about the Hall of Fame, nothing else, and I’m OK with that. WWE wanted to show their appreciation for my career there. Even though I feel it was short-lived at six-and-a-half years, I made enough of an impact that they felt I was worthy of the Hall of Fame.”

Along with the excitement over the announcement came speculation online that Angle could have matches against Brock Lesnar, John Cena, Rusev, or even work with American Alpha against the Wyatt Family. But there are no plans for Angle to return to active competition inside a WWE ring, nor are there any discussions to be included as a pre-order exclusive for the WWE 2K18 video game.

“They didn’t want to talk about anything about the Hall of Fame, and I understood,” said Angle. “This is the priority, and I’m going to enjoy this and see where it goes from here.”

Angle credited the people who have supported him for the past two decades as a critical reason for his induction into the WWE Hall of Fame.

“Without the people, I don’t know if I’d be in the Hall of Fame,” said Angle. “I really believe that had influence on the WWE. The fans spoke, and the WWE responded. The people have always been good to me, whether they loved me or hated my guts. I have a lot of fans who say, ‘Kurt, I hated you growing up, but now I think you’re one of the best of all time.’ That’s the best compliment you can get from the fans.”[/quote][/quote]

Creek

Young Lion
Reaction score
:jew:

I'd sooner believe he was returning to face off for the Women's Title than be inducted to the HoF if I didn't see this video.

2017 ought to be a crazy year for wrestling.