Star Wars The Last Jedi

baal666

Main Eventer
Reaction score
Don't want to read ? Listen <big><big>
</big></big>

25ti4d0.jpg

Before the movie :

Star Wars : The Last Jedi is the 8th episode of the Skywalker saga, Star Wars has been around for 40 years so i won't waste your time explaining what it is about, you all know about it, everyone knows about it, even thos who never saw the movies.

The movie came out on Wednesday December 13th here in France so I went to see it at the first afternoon screening, right after getting out of work, (3D screening).

Keep in mind that i'm not one of those Star Wars ultra fans. I enjoy most of it, read some novels and comics when I was younger and played some videogames, all of which aren't canon anymore.

Movie Plot :

Right after the destruction of Starkiller Base, the Resistance is forced to escape its main base as it is attacked by the First Order. Poe Dameron heads to the First Order's Destroyer and contacts General Hux to buy some time and allow his fellow rebels to escape and jump to hyperspace, sadly, the First Order's Star Destroyer is able to follow them. Now running on fumes, the Resistance needs a plan to survive this desperate situation. Poe, Finn and some new allies will try to find a way to save everyone from this trap.

Meanwhile, Rey found Luke on Ahch-To and tries to convince him to teach her the Jedi's ways. Having lost faith in the force after he failed with his nephew, Ben Solo, who turned to the dark side right in front of his uncle during his training, killing some padawans and leading others to follow him to join Snoke and the Dark Side. Rey will have to find the right words to convince Luke that he is needed to save the Galaxy once more and that she is worthy of his teaching.

The war between the Light and Dark sides of the Force is raging once again, tearing apart the Galaxy.

My impressions :

+ Remember how some people complained about The Force Awakens being lazy and retelling a New Hope's scenario ? Well here you have a new and interesting story.

+ Beautiful. Whether you are on Ahch-To, the Resistance's ship, Snoke's Ship, Canto Bight or Crait the visuals are stunning.

+ Humor that doesn't dumb down the movie.

+ Meaningful death. When a soldier dies, it's not just a decrease in the Resistance's fire power but the loss of a brother in arms, even if a mission is a success it is impacted by the losses.

+ Heroes can fail too. Sometimes even heroes make mistakes, they are people, not godlike creatures who success every time and it's good to see a huge movie do this.

+ Trolling those who made theories out of nothing. Seriously, after Episode VII we had a bunch of theories about Rey, Snoke, Luke, Kylo that sprouted out of nothing. Can't people enjoy a movie for what it is and wait for the next opus to have answers ? I'm glad they didn't follow some of the most popular theories which might anger some fans but allows for a better story for me.

+ Luke & Rey. Can't say much without spoiling but I really liked what he became, why he turned away from everything and his evolution throughout the movie. The way the Force is treated during Rey's learning of her new abilities and how she deals with them allowed to break some preconceived ideas about the Force and make things a little less manichean when it is involved.

+ Finn & Poe. Same as Luke, Finn's evolution was nice even though it's linked to Rose who is a small negative point as far as i'm concerned. As far as Poe is concerned, he actually looks like a real leader for the Resistance driven by his mission to erradicate the First Order.

+ Using Kylo's hesitation between light and dark. This makes things evolve between him and Rey, and between him and Snoke. This turns out to be useful and brings an unexpected turn of event.

- Useless 3D. The only thing reminding me that it was a 3D screening was the fact that I can't stand wearing glasses.

- Intercom trolling. Seriously this felt like Bart simpson's phone jokes to Moe, except that here we are in the middle of a galaxy wide war so this felt a bit stupid.

- Rose. She isn't a huge bad point but the way she is introduced and her relation with Finn has me worried about what may happen in Episode IX.

- Superwoman through space. Yep that's a weird way to formulate this but I don't wantto spoil and those who saw the movie will understand.

To conclude, I had a blast watching The Last Jedi. It didn't feel like there was any time off, even the more calm scenes have a purpose, the visuals are stunning and despite a few issues this was a great movie to me. It had humor without being stupid, nice action scenes (extra point for the Praetorian Guards scene), unexpected turn of events, stunning visuals and a beautiful ending. I really like The Force Awakens and Rogue One but The Last Jedi was one step above them, I don't understand some bad reviews and would really recommend going to the theater to see it if you haven't already.

<big><big>8.5/10</big></big>

About the video, i know there is a shit tone of things to improve, it's obvious that i'm reading and am scared as fuck but as I say at the end, given enough time and trys i'll improve so it would be a bit more pleasant to listen to it. I don't expect it to be very seen but the more views=the more comments=the more constructive criticisms so...we'll see how it turns out.

Monarch

Lower Midcard
Reaction score
I thought it was fantastic and loads better than The Force Awakens. My main issue with the 2 movies is what's the point of the Flynn character? He literally adds nothing to the story and feels like he's just there for comic relief, okay he was a former stormtrooper but he' a complete moron and the actor is way too over the top. He's basically the new Jar Jar Binks and I was honestly hoping he was gonna get vaporized by that giant canon.

baal666

Main Eventer
Reaction score
I don't find Finn that annoying. I guess, or at least i hope, he will be the character who evolved the end at the end of this trilogy. From an enemy soldier, to a selfcentered coward neutral guy, to an actual hero of the Resistance.

However, i really hoped he was going to destroy this canon in a kamikaze move, i think it would have been ballsy to kill one of the main characters in a brave action in the middle of the trilogy.

D

Deleted User

Crowd Member
I'm late to the party but I don't care.

Movie was a pile of crap, with the exception of the excellent space battles.

A goofball Admiral and a "yo mama" joke to open up an epic space adventure movie isn't gonna win me over.