World Title Turns 11.

Tired

Legend
Reaction score
The WWE's version of the World Heavyweight Championship is officially 11 years old.

The title was created to make the Raw and SmackDown brands look like rival companies. They had both been using the WWE Championship for the first few months. But after Brock Lesnar won the title, SmackDown General Manager Stephanie McMahon paid Lesnar to only ever defend the title against SmackDown challengers. Raw General Manager Eric Bischoff responded by introducing the Raw World Heavyweight Championship, a major title exclusive to the Raw brand. The WWE Board of Directors then made both titles exclusive to whichever brand they were on.

The title is heavily based upon the World Heavyweight Championship previously used in the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) and World Championship Wrestling (WCW). The WWE insists that the title is a continuation of the previous titles, despite obvious breaks in the lineage. But most fans do not see it as having existed before September 2002.

Just like the WWE Championship, the WWE World Heavyweight Championship has changed brands, depending on which show the title holder was contracted to.

The title has been monopolised at different times by Triple H, Batista and Edge. It is no surprise that these three men have had the most time as champion, as well as the most title victories. Both men have had long streaks of being involved with World Title matches at consecutive pay-per-views, regardless of who the champion was.

The WWE website has created a list of their Top 15 Champions. But I have included some other trivia too.

World Title Trivia

Edge has held the title 7 times.

Rey Mysterio is the only masked champion.

When King Booker won the title, he became the first African-American to hold a major world title in the WWE. (The Rock's ethnicity is disputed because he is half African-Canadian, and half-Samoan).

Batista has had the longest single title reign, lasting 282 days. Triple H comes in close second with 280 days. Triple H has held the title for a combined 616 days.

Big Show, Jeff Hardy and Dolph Ziggler have both had reigns that lasted less than 1 hour.

The Undertaker and Edge have both forfeited the title after using finishers that SmackDown General Manager Vickie Guerrero had outlawed.

Big Show, Goldberg and Chris Benoit are the only champions to have held the WCW version of the title.

Christian is the only champion to have won the NWA version of the title.

Batista is the oldest title holder, and Randy Orton is the youngest.

Triple H has held the World title and the Intercontinental Championship at the same time. The titles were briefly unified after this.

WWE.com Top 15 Champions
15. Goldberg (1, 84 days)
14. Daniel Bryan (1, 105 days)
13. Randy Orton (3, 138 days)
12. Kane (1, 154 days)
11. CM Punk (3, 160 days)
10. Chris Jericho (3, 106 days)
9. John Cena (2, 105 days)
8. Mark Henry (1, 91 days)
7. Rey Mysterio (2, 140 days)
6. Sheamus (1, 210 days)
5. King Booker (1, 126 days)
4. The Undertaker (3, 207 days)
3. Edge (7, 409 days)
2. Batista (4, 507 days)
1. Triple H (5, 616 days)
<div class='spoiler_toggle'>Every other WWE World Heavyweight Champion</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;">
Alberto Del Rio
Chris Benoit
Kurt Angle
Jack Swagger
Big Show
Dolph Ziggler
The Great Khali
Christian
Shawn Michaels
Jeff Hardy
</div>

CalvTheHedgehog

Midcard
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
The fact that CM Punk is gonna have an IC title match, and Ziggler is gonna have a US title match, I'm pretty sure they're gonna do something cool with the WH.

kevan1700

Upper Midcard
Reaction score
<blockquote class='quote\\_blockquote'><dl><dt>A.K.I</dt><dd>Sep 3 2013, 12:57:36 PM</dd></dl><div>
Ireland said:
Big Show, Goldberg and Chris Benoit are the only champions to have held the WCW version of the title.
That's bull. Booker T also held the WCW title in WCW.[/quote]to the point that its part of his gimmick...even his twitter name

stylesismilo

Main Eventer
Reaction score
<blockquote class='quote\\_blockquote'><dl><dt>NinjaMan Jones</dt><dd>Sep 3 2013, 10:43:21 PM</dd></dl><div>That's bull. Booker T also held the WCW title in WCW.[/quote]to the point that its part of his gimmick...even his twitter name[/quote]Now can you dig that? Suckaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Man, I've always wanted to do this.

Wait, Didn't Benoit's reign in WCW counted as invalid?

Tired

Legend
Reaction score
Okay...

AKI, you are right. Booker T should have been included.

Stylesismilo, Sort of. It was rendered invalid, explaining the reason for it being vacated. But it still stands. In the same way that Dolph Ziggler's first reign was rendered invalid, but later reinstated.

D

Deleted User

Crowd Member
<blockquote class='quote\\_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd> </dd></dl><div>Big Show, Goldberg and Chris Benoit are the only champions to have held the WCW version of the title.[/quote]

This line confuses the heck out me, are you saying they are the only WWE superstars to have held the WCW title? Because DDP, Scott Steiner, Bret Hart, Ric Flair, Sid Vicious, Randy Savage and Kevin Nash have all been to both companies.

I'm just a little confused, not trying to start shit.

edit: Ric Falir and Sting both held the NWA's version....

Tired

Legend
Reaction score
"the only champions", as in the only WWE World Heavyweight Champions to hold the WCW/NWA versions too.

D

Deleted User

Crowd Member
Ahhhh! I see. It's early for me so I'm still braindead.

Tired

Legend
Reaction score
It's okay, man. I somehow forgot that Booker T was a champion, despite adding trivia information on him.

D

Deleted User

Crowd Member
That joke hasn't been funny for about 6 years.

I love how young fans always associate WCW with "crap". Keep watching those officially liscenced WWE "documentarys", kiddos. They're 100% accurate.

TNA was doing just fine until Hogan and Eric fucked things up. Sure, the storylines may not have been like WWE's, but that isn't what most TNA fans watch that product for.