Xbox One to support mods?

Swifty

Main Eventer
Reaction score
359351.jpg

For those of you who are still looking for a more strong reason to get the Xbox one, this just might be it.

Recently, Microsoft announced that their latest Console Xbox one can be used as a dev kit, and many believe that this means modding and mods will be supported aswell.

it was asked on Reddit if this means the console would support mods, "It's up to developers to support that," answered Microsoft's Major Nelson. "These are two very different things."

Note that Microsoft stated that the Xbox one is the most open console they made to date, while the 360 and the original Xbox didn't allow it.

Source

SLX

Midcard
Reaction score
This could be exciting news in spite of the fact that I favor the ps3 10:1.

Meh.

Midcard
Reaction score
This is nothing amazing, it's the same as using the Unreal development kit for a PC game; all they are doing is exposing the ability to develop indy games for the console. If you think this will allow you to mod games, you are very wrong.

Maximo

Midcard
Reaction score
It reminds me of the old Net Yaroze kits for Playstation 1, hell some of the "modern" Indy games for xbox360 play exactly the same as the old Net Yaroze indy games that came with magazines.
Like he said "These are two very different things."

If you think the big players will allow you to legally mod their games (Dark Call of Wrestlesports Z 2014) when they plan on making big money on the next game (Dark Call of Wrestlesports Z 2015: The Return of the Same Thing) you will likely be disappointed.

Goatcheese

Main Eventer
Reaction score
<blockquote class='quote\\_blockquote'><dl><dt>Meh.</dt><dd>May 4 2014, 07:25:25 AM</dd></dl><div>This is nothing amazing, it's the same as using the Unreal development kit for a PC game; all they are doing is exposing the ability to develop indy games for the console. If you think this will allow you to mod games, you are very wrong.[/quote]There's a huge difference between an standalone game engine, and a console which allows development/changes to be done.

EDIT: Microsoft is probably going to allow custom games on the console (in this case, indie games), but not to be developed on the console itself, games require a base engine (game engine) and the knowledge of coding, which I can guarantee Microsoft WON'T provide. So the two are completely different.

SLX

Midcard
Reaction score
What you're basically saying is that they may simply allow the execution of unsigned game code. Fair enough.

But then again, this would make an exploit to be created super easily, and that would allow someone to use a virus to exploit the console even further to allow you to view the hard drive's file system and modify it's contents. At that point, you'd basically be able to modify whatever game files you want, so you'd be modding.

It's gonna happen, people want it.

Goatcheese

Main Eventer
Reaction score
Yup, from what I understand, they make it easier for indie developers to develop games and compile them to the Xbox One console, which would make it a lot easier, since Xbox 360 games had to be verified by Microsoft first. (Getting it onto Xbox Live)

So get ready for a shitload of viruses coming your way. :p

Meh.

Midcard
Reaction score
Goatcheese said:
There's a huge difference between an standalone game engine, and a console which allows development/changes to be done.
No, there isn't. The first one requires exposure to the second. If you think WWE are going to allow modders access to their game for modding...

photo-3409.jpg

Goatcheese

Main Eventer
Reaction score
My previous posts had nothing to do with modding. There's a difference between a console which allows indie games to be executed on them, and a game engine, which is used to develop the game, and I'm talking from experience, since a handful of family members are into game development, some of which live overseas. So, go read it up mate. :p
"Game Engine" - "Game Platform"

Companies normally don't mind modding, its "advertisement" and exposure to what the engines are capable of, that's a fact, since older games are still being played, due to the ability of modding/hacking. Games like No Mercy, Smackdown vs Raw, even games non related to this forum, such as San Andreas, still being played, JUST for the mods it has. All in all, your statements don't make sense, since it has an positive impact, on us modders, and them as company.

Meh.

Midcard
Reaction score
You're talking to an ex-games developer so don't insult me and tell me "read up". Indie games to be executed on them? What on earth are you talking about. A game engine isn't used to develop a game, a development kit/API is.

I'd love to see form of evidence for your " don't mind modding" for consoles. Just because x company hasn't made a formal statement saying they don't mind it, doesn't mean they like it. For example, whilst working at Rockstar Leeds I knew first hand that the developers/publishers of GTA IV were not exactly keen on people 'modding' it.

Stop talking garbage.

Goatcheese

Main Eventer
Reaction score
So what you're trying to say that the Xbox One is going to be a game engine? Or something similar? Because saying its a developer kit, means you'll be making games from the console itself. You saying the Xbox One is the same as a game engine (your previous post) led me to think of it this way :

I said "There's a huge difference between an standalone game
engine, and a console which allows development/changes
to be done."
You said "No, there isn't. The first one requires exposure to the
second."
I understand where you are coming from, BUT, that'll be like saying dirty clothes is the same as a washing machine, since "the one requires exposure to the second"

Seriously, don't be silly. And yes, people such as my cousin, had been developing games for close to 10 years now, his way older than me.

WAIT WHAT? RockstarGames Leeds not keen on modding IV? What are you talking about? Have you ever explored the files? And the structures? You know all the known text files you open give you a description of how to "place" certain data and stuff? Go ahead... Visit GTAForums, go and look for NTAuthority. Tell him that the IV engine isn't flexible when it comes to modding. The stuff this guy has achieved is way above your so called "thoughts" about what Rockstargames feel when releasing these games. Since you worked at Rockstargames, as you said earlier, you should know that they actually support GTAForums, and they even reply to people sending them previews of mods, and they always seem to compliment these modders.

If they weren't keen on GTA IV being modded, they would allow the engine to be pushed to this extent:

http://www.gtaforums.com?topic=697393-iv-viiv-levelsgta5-for-gtany/?view=getnewpost

Goatcheese

Main Eventer
Reaction score
I won't get down to your level to have to insult another member, so I'll make myself disappear from here, but since you couldn't explain any of the points I made above. I guess its a :

Goatcheese 1
Meh 0

SLX

Midcard
Reaction score
Meh sounds like me last week. Who pissed in your kool-aid bro?

Goatcheese, you make completely valid points but you're coming off a bit forceful too.

Meh may have worked at Rockstar Leeds, and thats f'n awesome. Maybe certain members of the team don't agree with modding, just like I don't agree with mentioning where you got your un-owned games on the forum (I'm looking at you Goatcheese). It doesn't mean everyone agrees though. The fact is GTA IV shipped with the appearance that they support mods, and in fact it does.

But the fact is, each Rockstar studio is actually just a bought-out version of a prior studio operating under a different name. They all have different work place rules, just like auto locator services. I'm pretty sure that R* North had different rules than R* Leeds, and probably different opinions. North obviously agreed. It may not remain the same when GTA V comes to pc, and has a lot to do with the delay likely.

Tired

Legend
Reaction score
Goatcheese, you're not above receiving warnings. Now seriously, stop.

Back on topic, I do agree with Meh's original point. The ones he made later on, not so much. But his first comment hit the nail on the head. At no point did Microsoft indicate that this console will allow modded games. Especially as they are still keeping a lot of other restrictions in place. We may be reading too much into what they actually said.

I think that the new console will make it easier for people to share smaller games and apps they made themselves, but keeping them exclusive to X-Box Online.

To only thing really going for the X-Box One is how badly the PlayStation 4 has been received. In Ireland, it is easier to get an unwanted, second hand PS4 from a shop than a second-hand PS2.